View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Moblin/ blin faction 
Colonel
Colonel

Post Moblin/ blin faction
considering that they are among one of the oldest races in the series (well at least some of them depending on what is included.) I find it interesting that the Blins, and moblins in particular do not have a faction list or anything. I forget exactly what the categories are for faction other than just the most general sense. So i just wanted to open this topic up and see if there was anyone who had a solid idea what a blin faction troop list would look like under our system we currently have.

WE HAVE A KITTY AGAIN!!!

Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:19 pm
Colonel
Colonel

Post Re: Moblin/ blin faction
Double posting here, sorry, but I thought to revisit this and put some work into this while waiting and see what people think .

I actually think that a couple of the Hylian troops and one of the Gerudo would go with Blins better than those factions. I’ll explain the reasoning and though behind each one and point out which ones come from other factions and why, I’ll put out this list first with maybe a suggestion or two on what could replace them if I already have an idea for that or if I don’t try after I post this bit

For Moblins their price is probably a little above undead, and give good atk for their price, REALLY good atk, the downside is that they have weak defense and the General needs to walk a fine line with his or her troop’s morale, as Moblins are very sensitive to its effects, thus blin armies will be fare quicker to rout when morale drops than other races, furthermore, if their morale gets too high, while they will hit even harder, they will also begin ignoring orders and just attacking the nearest enemy.
The playstyle I’d say for Blin commanders would be a damage race against their enemies. Being enough troops to batter the enemy force into submission with your high atk output before your army falls apart from either their low def, or from routing

Quote:
Naval Unit: Galley
(taken from Hylian troop list) 3 Months, 450R (Shipyard)
Galleys are prototypical warships. They carry a single row of Moblin oarsmen in addition to their sails, providing them with a constant and relatively impressive speed in combat, though they lack maneuverability. During combat, a unit of blin archers stands on the deck while bokoblins attempt boarding actions or defend against those of opponents. Galleys have 10 movement points, and water territories (ocean or river) cost 2.5 points each for them. When a galley is finished being built, it starts out in the territory it was built in, not in the adjacent water. Galleys can also travel up and down rivers.

Why I did this: Really didn’t like how the galley worked for the Hylians when I used them as when facing Goron iron clads the goron ships just sailed away and peppered us at range without the when-you-get-down-to-it melee only galley being unable to close the distance and board, making them rather useless, so am I just fobbing off a useless boat to the moblins to give them crap? Nope! With OoT moblins manning the oars instead of Hylians their tactical speed would I’d say be a bit higher, making the chance of them closing the range to swarm aboard with blins a MUCH more likely!

What to replace the Hylian ship with: Holk
Taken more or less directly from Medieval Total War 2 (an oldie but a goodie) the Holk is a medieval ship with a single square sail with archers and marines aboard for defense. Furthermore, they had fore and aft ‘castles’ for the archers to fire from for defense and a small artillery piece (catapult? Trebuchet? Throwing rocks or bombs?) for its offensive capabilities. This also I feel fits better with the Hylians Medieval Europe based warfare set.
For reference: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Holk_(M2TW_unit)

Quote:
Basic melee unit: Bokoblin warrior
Basic description(needs revision): A bokoblin with a club; this might not seem like much, but Blin can swing their clubs with crushing force. On the other hand Bokoblins don’t have any thought for defense as they don’t have ANY armor.

Why: the Bokoblin is all offense, no defense and epitomises the Blin military mindset.

Quote:
Basic ranged Unit: Bulblin Fire Archers (name taken from Gerudo unit list, the actual unit will be taken next…)
A little smarter than their boko cousins, the Bulblin prefer to fight from range with their bows to send fire arrows upon their enemies. They are also smart enough to wear leather armor for protection

Quote:
Basic mounted unit: Boar riders (taken from Gerudo with some modifications)
Basic description: a straightforward take on mounted units, the Blins don’t put much stock on making this any more complicated than it has to be, which is why they just throw a boko and bulblin atop a boar and call it a day, the boar has a devastating charge, but is hard to control in comparison to other blins (which is saying something!) the bokoblin protects the boars flanks (its reach not being long enough to reliably hit anything otherwise) and the Bulblin tries to hit things at a distance, though considering how wild a ride the boar would be, their accuracy beyond point blank is a lost cause. Expensive in rupees, but not time.

Reason: they are the mounted units of the blins that we see in TP and fits

What to replace for the Gerudo
Ice Archers: Lightly armored Gerudo archers that fire off the Gerudo’s signature Ice arrows, not only do they hurt, but these arrows slow down enemy troops nearby and thus can slow formations, rendering the more vulnerable to the Gerudo’s hit and run tactics.

Reasoning: the Ice arrow was mentioned to be a Gerudo treasure in OoT, and also slowing down enemy forces with a freezing effect works well with the Gerudo’s playstyle

Quote:
Mage: Banner mages (taken from Hylian trooplist)
Description: These blin mages through their banners can bolster Blin morale which can prevent the usually flightly Blins from routing and opening the possibility of a possible last stand. OR it can give a Blin army that is winning a boost that will close any chance of the enemy army from regrouping.

Why: Hylians already have high morale naturally and the Banner mages didn’t seem like they would give them that much improvement for the cost needed to get the amount of mages to troops ratio to be noticeable.
What to replace the troop with: Priest
These ‘mages’ bless the Hylians equipment during battle, enhancing offense and defense (if this doesn’t seem balanced, it’ll just be offense) of the Hylian soldiers nearby

Quote:
Special unit: Moblin/Darknut?
Smarter, tougher and more disciplined than their Boko counterparts the Moblin is armed with a long axe with a spike on the end. While they don’t improve morale, having these guys around their smaller counterparts helps alleviate their discipline problems improving chances of them following orders at low or high moral and are tough fighters to boot. Their defense is still lacking though, with them relying on their tougher hide than any sort of armor. based on TP beta appearance.

Quote:
Defensive structure: stakes
Doesn’t prevent any projectiles from hitting whatever’s behind the stakes, but any commander that tries charging his troops through this defensive line of stake is going to regret it as they lose troops to it.

Quote:
Basic siege unit: Battering Ram?
A troop of Moblins carrying what is essentially a giant log, with their strength the possibility of battering down even stone walls becomes a possibility (since gates haven’t ever really been considered in the rules have to play it this way…) they are vulnerable to counterattack though

Ok, so that’s 8 creations, I’ve noticed though that while most of the trooplists have 9, Hylians and Zora only have 8… especially egregious for the zora have their mage covering for their lack of ranged options and their cavalry is optimized for water rather than land...

WE HAVE A KITTY AGAIN!!!

Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]