View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Ongoing Work and Outages 
Administrator
Administrator

Post Ongoing Work and Outages
This is where I'll be announcing if you can expect trouble on the site - i.e., if I'm tinkering with stuff that's likely to bring the forums down for a bit. As always, if the entire board crashes and you're not sure if it's supposed to be that way, send me an IM or email if it's not back up within fifteen minutes. Since I'm gonna be doing bits and pieces of work over the next little bit, I figured it was easier to have one forum to keep updating instead of starting a new thing every time.

"I am where the shadows meet.
The day of the forgotten is coming.
The lost left behind shall find their way again..."

Sun May 23, 2010 11:18 am
Administrator
Administrator

Post Re: Ongoing Work and Outages
Chat will be going down for maintenance and upgrades. Stand by.

Sun May 23, 2010 11:18 am
Administrator
Administrator

Chat is now back up. Although I'll be doing little tweaks and stuff, so there may be periodic hiccups.

Sun May 23, 2010 11:45 am
Administrator
Administrator

Time to revive a dead thread, eh?

I was doing some maintenance work earlier and may have muddled up a section of the database structure. Nothing significant should be impacted, only some back-end stuff. I've only seen one indication thus far that leads me to believe that something might be amiss, but if you encounter anything out of the ordinary or receive errors, please inform me and I'll look into it.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:21 pm
Administrator
Administrator

All right, if everything worked properly, then there should be no problems anywhere whatsoever. As ever, report any abnormalities or bugs to me.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:15 pm
Administrator
Administrator

I've been doing ongoing server work, cleaning things up and making everything run smoother. Here's a quick rundown of what's been done in the past 24 hours:

1. I've fully upgraded the forums to the latest major released version.

2. I've conducted a good sweep and clean of the database.

3. I've completely removed the following modifications and their database edits:

AJAX Chat v0.8.1.2 (this was done quite some time ago)
      Anti Bot Question v1.2.0
      Change User's Post Count v2.0.3
      Prime Birthdate v1.2.5
      Prime Firefox 3 Password Management Fix v1.0.0
      User IP Logs v1.0.1
      Welcome PM on First Login v2.2.5

4. During the above work, the forums experienced various outages and errors. They are now all resolved. If you are still experiencing errors, it is an abnormality; empty your browser cache and ensure the error is not due to your machine before contacting me with a bug report.

5. I've moved the following threads for organization and pruning purposes:

Administration\Announcements -> Archives\Temple of Time\Hyrulian War\Other
    - Continuation of Hyrulian War
    - Pardon My Dust
    - Home Again and Future Plans
    - Hyrulian War Voice Chat
    - User Prune and Deactivation
    - Hyrulian War: Reboot

Archives\Temple of Time\V-Man's Unfinished Ruleset -> Archives\Temple of Time\Hyrulian War\Other
    - Roleplayer Guide: Getting Started
    - Roleplayer Guide: Playing
    - Roleplayer Guide: The Enemy List
    - Roleplayer Guide: Health, Stars, and Rainbows
    - Roleplayer Guide: The Diverse Peoples of Hyrule
    - Roleplayer Guide: The Bazaar

(The subforum V-Man's Unfinished Ruleset was subsequently deleted as it was empty)

6. I've cleaned up a lot of back-end stuff and optimized administrative functions. COPPA Registered Users will no longer be used, nor will Global Moderators. The only practical impact of much of my back-end work is that the "RP Liaison" Group is now gone, as it is a War Staff position, and will therefore fall into the War Staff Group. Sorry, Blue Cucco - your personal fancy custom color username is gone.

7. Forum permissions have been fixed for the cleaned-up Groups.

8. I have created a complete clone of Hyrulian War at http://archive.hyrulianwar.com. This archive is a completely closed, read-only, web-facing mirror of Hyrulian War as of 11 April 2012.

9. My intent is to keep the archive live barring any major problems and begin pruning and deleting old and outdated content from Hyrulian War. The Temple of Time forum, instead of housing all its subforums and threads, will be a link to the archive which will hold all of our superceded posts. My intent is to prune the Temple of Time complete as well as older topics in General Discussion and Convocation as well as the entirety of Player Works and Mini-Games. While you can log in to the archive if you held an active account on Hyrulian War on 11 April 2012, you will be restricted to the same Read-Only status as Guests. You will not be able to post, edit, PM, or otherwise interact with the site in any way which would change the content database.

10. I'm pretty awesome.

Any questions, complaints, concerns, or issues with the above, let me know. Now that I've finished up a much needed "spring cleaning" on the forums, my next step is to write a very basic ruleset from the ground up. My intent, mission, and guiding principles are:

INTENT - It is my intent that Hyrulian War be a game that is:

1. Enjoyable;
    2. Easy to understand; and
    3. Balanced without burdening Players and Staff.

MISSION: To SIMPLIFY the rules of Hyrulian War as much as possible in order to simultaneously MINIMIZE confusion and barrier-to-entry and MAXIMIZE comprehension and ease-of-play.

Goal 1: STREAMLINE game systems with minimal and balanced mechanics;
    Goal 2: CONDENSE War and Player rulesets to bare minimums;
    Goal 3: REDUCE General, Player, and Staff workload by simplifying stats and processes.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:31 pm
Major
Major

Raius Vaiethaen wrote:
MISSION: To SIMPLIFY the rules of Hyrulian War as much as possible in order to simultaneously MINIMIZE confusion and barrier-to-entry and MAXIMIZE comprehension and ease-of-play.

Yes.

Raius Vaiethaen wrote:
10. I'm pretty awesome.

Also yes :D

Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:55 pm
Administrator
Administrator

With regards to the forum work that will be done (cf. this post), I have tested and verified that the Hyrulian War Archive is stable. It has been updated with the latest database (22 May 2013) and proven to be functional. Since that is the case, I will be proceeding with the next steps, to include:

- temporary shutdown of Hyrulian War to accomodate upgrade
- final database clone to archive
- Temple of Time forum changed to link to archive
- clean install of the latest public stable build of phpBB
- reinstall of Heroes Rest theme
- reintegration of database clone, keeping only threads that have been active in the past 60 days
- reactivation of Hyrulian War

Past that point, modification and integration will occur on an ongoing and need basis.

Wed May 22, 2013 1:06 pm
Warmod
Warmod

Please don't make the ENTIRE temple of time only accessible via the Archive site 0_o Anything else aside, If you did that we'd go back to no-one but you being able able to move stuff into the temple of time.
EDIT: I'm also not sure how I feel about making all topics that have been inactive for more than 60 days archive-only. Of particular note are the rules topics :P
MOAR EDIT: Attached images aren't visible on the archive site. Will this change?

"There is no R in Kapuran. Except for the R" ~Krappy

Wed May 22, 2013 1:14 pm
Profile WWW
War Staff
War Staff

I'm looking forward to all the upgrades!

Let me know when you would like to shut down and reboot the forums. We have an active war going right now, so I want to coordinate cutoff times and such as fairly and openly as possible.

Zen brings up a good point about not moving some topics to archive and keeping them acurate (rules, character creation, etc). I'd like to work with the rest of the War Staff to compile a list of exemptions. But overall, I don't mind the idea of it, so long as it stays organized and there aren't an excessive amount of redirects. I do like having ease-of-access and a centralized system to locate topics.

How will retrieving topics from the archives or adding new posts to them work? I have limited experience with this stuff, sorry. :P

GLORY TO THE COMING AGE OF THE CUCCOS!!

Wed May 22, 2013 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
Please don't make the ENTIRE temple of time only accessible via the Archive site 0_o Anything else aside, If you did that we'd go back to no-one but you being able able to move stuff into the temple of time.

Well, it's a simple matter to set up a secondary forum that you could archive things in temporarily. But the whole point is to bring the forum back into as much a zero state as possible to optimize. Right now, the HW database is sitting at hundreds of megabytes in size.

Quote:
EDIT: I'm also not sure how I feel about making all topics that have been inactive for more than 60 days archive-only. Of particular note are the rules topics :P

Feel free to tag/suggest any threads that need to be preserved that have not been active within the last 60 days. If they need to be saved, we can simply preserve them before the rebuild happens.

Quote:
MOAR EDIT: Attached images aren't visible on the archive site. Will this change?

Let me look into this quickly. I might be able to quickly resolve it, I vaguely recall having to deal with this the last time I archived.

Quote:
Let me know when you would like to shut down and reboot the forums. We have an active war going right now, so I want to coordinate cutoff times and such as fairly and openly as possible.

Yep. I don't anticipate any downtime prior to the weekend, it'll take me some time to get everything in place anyway.

Quote:
Zen brings up a good point about not moving some topics to archive and keeping them acurate (rules, character creation, etc). I'd like to work with the rest of the War Staff to compile a list of exemptions. But overall, I don't mind the idea of it, so long as it stays organized and there aren't an excessive amount of redirects. I do like having ease-of-access and a centralized system to locate topics.

Anything that's current and relevant should be preserved. Anything that's archived should be moved to the archive forum.

Quote:
How will retrieving topics from the archives or adding new posts to them work? I have limited experience with this stuff, sorry. :P

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking with this one - the archive and the main forum will be two separate entities, two distinct databases, so they won't be interoperable. The archive is there purely for the purposes of, well, archiving HW history, which is a thing we've lost several times in the past (aside from DT's page-saves).

Wed May 22, 2013 4:14 pm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Any chance that if I send you a donation (feeling left out) you'd be willing to try and get us another skin for the forums? Not that I don't like this one, I just like having options... xD

Wed May 22, 2013 4:23 pm
Warmod
Warmod

Faaaaaair enough.
One more queston for now, more out of curiosity than anything: What benefits can we look forward to from the optimization resulting from reducing the database size? Shorter load times? Faster searches? (...though I guess if you were searching you'd more likely than not be wanting to search the archive anyway)

...okay, I guess I lied, that made me think of another question :P
How easy will it be to periodically merge the new topics/posts on the active forum since the last archive-update into the archive?

"There is no R in Kapuran. Except for the R" ~Krappy

Wed May 22, 2013 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
War Staff
War Staff

New topics might appear that we don't want to archive within 60 days (like a new map topic, for example), so is there a way for mods to override the auto-archive, or track things? Or maybe even needing mod approval to send things to archive? I might like that best, actually, just to prevent accidents. I just ask because it seems a total pain in the butt (or maybe even a functional impossibility) to un-archive things.

Also, will staff etc have access and moderation privileges in the archives? For example, if we need to fetch a returning vet's formatted stats from their last active post?

When would you like a list of topics that should remain active submitted by?

And sorry, I think originally I thought what you were trying to do like a partition of the forums or something, the same way you would do a hard-drive, with easy transfers back and forth to different sections. But that probably doesn't make any actual sense. Like I said, I'm not good with this stuff. :P

GLORY TO THE COMING AGE OF THE CUCCOS!!

Wed May 22, 2013 6:47 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
Any chance that if I send you a donation (feeling left out) you'd be willing to try and get us another skin for the forums? Not that I don't like this one, I just like having options... xD

It's a possibility I can look into - the problem with having multiple themes is that whenever a modification is put in place, it has to be enacted on each and every theme. I only re-enabled prosilver because of Zen's incessant whining (;)) and he is still the only person using that theme. I don't think that there's anything wrong with having multiple themes, mind you - we used to in the past - it's just that there's been custom code injected into HW that makes maintenance difficult without a dedicated coder.

Quote:
One more queston for now, more out of curiosity than anything: What benefits can we look forward to from the optimization resulting from reducing the database size? Shorter load times? Faster searches? (...though I guess if you were searching you'd more likely than not be wanting to search the archive anyway)

Reducing database size will lead to shorter load and query times, and less bloat in general makes everything run faster. For example, caching the database into server memory will be faster and easier since it'll be a lighter load, and while I'm not sure how phpBB has handled database/memory management, a smaller database is always more efficient and secure.

Quote:
How easy will it be to periodically merge the new topics/posts on the active forum since the last archive-update into the archive?

As to how easy it'll be, I'm not 100% - I'll have to re-familiarize myself with how phpBB structures its MySQL databases. It may be just as simple as writing up a custom SQL script and automating; it may have to be done manually each time. In terms of maintaining bloat, though, it should really only need to be done once or twice a year, really.

Quote:
New topics might appear that we don't want to archive within 60 days (like a new map topic, for example), so is there a way for mods to override the auto-archive, or track things? Or maybe even needing mod approval to send things to archive? I might like that best, actually, just to prevent accidents. I just ask because it seems a total pain in the butt (or maybe even a functional impossibility) to un-archive things.

It'll be done by hand (at least to start) so that's not a current concern; elsewise, there's the tried-and-true method of editing/bumping before the backup when it's about to happen. It won't be, like, threads randomly disappearing without warning.

Quote:
Also, will staff etc have access and moderation privileges in the archives? For example, if we need to fetch a returning vet's formatted stats from their last active post?

No. The archive will be archive-only, everything open and readable, no sign-ons or administration. Should the rare event occur that a retrieval is necessary (and they should be rare), I can go and fetch that code if required.

Quote:
When would you like a list of topics that should remain active submitted by?

Anytime before you want the archive and reinstall to happen. Generally the sooner the better; I'm here and have the time now, but I'm pending a big move and a good chunk of fieldtime soon, so I'll be offline for potentially months.

Quote:
And sorry, I think originally I thought what you were trying to do like a partition of the forums or something, the same way you would do a hard-drive, with easy transfers back and forth to different sections. But that probably doesn't make any actual sense. Like I said, I'm not good with this stuff. :P

No, it does make sense and I wish the architecture allowed for that. It would if I designed it. :p

I'd like to add that the archive thing is not a necessity. If everyone is happy with the way things run now, we don't have to run a backup, archive, and reinstall - it's just an option that I thought would best suit the forum operations. Yes, the database is a couple hundred megs, but that's not unheard of.

Wed May 22, 2013 7:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next