View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Ongoing Work and Outages 
War Staff
War Staff

Post Re: Ongoing Work and Outages
Quote:
New topics might appear that we don't want to archive within 60 days (like a new map topic, for example), so is there a way for mods to override the auto-archive, or track things? Or maybe even needing mod approval to send things to archive? I might like that best, actually, just to prevent accidents. I just ask because it seems a total pain in the butt (or maybe even a functional impossibility) to un-archive things.

It'll be done by hand (at least to start) so that's not a current concern; elsewise, there's the tried-and-true method of editing/bumping before the backup when it's about to happen. It won't be, like, threads randomly disappearing without warning.[/quote]

Oh! That makes me feel a lot more comfortable with it, for sure.

Quote:
Quote:
Also, will staff etc have access and moderation privileges in the archives? For example, if we need to fetch a returning vet's formatted stats from their last active post?

No. The archive will be archive-only, everything open and readable, no sign-ons or administration. Should the rare event occur that a retrieval is necessary (and they should be rare), I can go and fetch that code if required.

Yeah, it'll definitely be pretty rare, but if you're out on the field for months--as you mentioned at the end of your last post that you are like to be-- I could see a vet coming back, not being able to get their stats, and then leaving again. Even if it isn't mods, but just admins (I think Zen is the only person who currently has been given admin privileges?), I'd argue that it's important to be able to do in a timely fashion.

Quote:
Quote:
When would you like a list of topics that should remain active submitted by?

Anytime before you want the archive and reinstall to happen. Generally the sooner the better; I'm here and have the time now, but I'm pending a big move and a good chunk of fieldtime soon, so I'll be offline for potentially months.

Noted.

Quote:
Quote:
And sorry, I think originally I thought what you were trying to do like a partition of the forums or something, the same way you would do a hard-drive, with easy transfers back and forth to different sections. But that probably doesn't make any actual sense. Like I said, I'm not good with this stuff. :P

No, it does make sense and I wish the architecture allowed for that. It would if I designed it. :p

I'd like to add that the archive thing is not a necessity. If everyone is happy with the way things run now, we don't have to run a backup, archive, and reinstall - it's just an option that I thought would best suit the forum operations. Yes, the database is a couple hundred megs, but that's not unheard of.

Good to know I'm not crazy, at least. :P

Honestly, I think the stuff from HW 2.0 and prior is probably safe to be archived. Stuff after that needs more review, I think.

That said, I haven't found the forums themselves to be particularly slow or anything at all. I don't know what other peoples' experiences have been, though, and it's certainly not only the mods who use the archives. Generals and nostalgic vets especially tend to use it a lot, it seems. :P Since this pertains to everybody, I'd like to move that we conduct an open poll for 3-4 days to see what the playerbase thinks the best approach is. Ease-of-access is probably the most important thing in an archive... well, that, and relevant information. :P

Could you give an example of a forum of the setup you're suggesting we use, so we can see how we like it?

Also, how easy will it be to SEARCH through the archives for something? Keywords and the like, like we can do here? Sometimes I'm looking for a specific ruling or just something memorable that someone said, so I would prefer to be able to continue to be able to find that stuff quickly.

GLORY TO THE COMING AGE OF THE CUCCOS!!

Thu May 23, 2013 8:00 am
Profile WWW
Administrator
Administrator

The archive will be a mirror of this site, with all the same functionalities and search (except disabled to posting, editing, logins, registrations, etc.) and can be viewed at archive.hyrulianwar.com. Access is easy since there'll be a link to it on the main HW page.

"I am where the shadows meet.
The day of the forgotten is coming.
The lost left behind shall find their way again..."

Thu May 23, 2013 8:11 am
Warmod
Warmod

I feel I should point out that I can only access the ACP when on the prosilver skin. If I try to go to the ACP while using the Hermes Rest skin, it just takes me to the forum index. So yeah :P

Aaaaand that generally sounds reasonable enough...still, a short poll like Blue suggested would probably be a good idea.

EDIT: On reflection, I agree with Blue about being able to easily fetch (formatted) stats from the archives being somewhat important. We want as little barrier as possible to returning players.
And I haven't found the forums notably slow, either - but then it's not like I remember what it was like years ago when the database was smaller, so it's entirely possible the contrast may surprise me :P

"There is no R in Kapuran. Except for the R" ~Krappy

Thu May 23, 2013 8:35 am
Profile WWW
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, the Heroes Rest theme is a little mucked up from all the modifications. You can authenticate to ACP, it'll take you back to index, but if you click ACP again, you can go right in without issues. Still, it's a pain in the ass.

I would suggest compiling a backup of stats of characters in a savefile thread instead of digging into the archive. The whole point of the archive is that it be an untouched carbon copy, which is why logins and everything else will be disabled.

Thu May 23, 2013 1:38 pm
Warmod
Warmod

Huh, yeah, that works fine for the ACP.

As to the stats stuff...mm...I don't suppose there's anyway we could have read-only access to the bbcode of posts on the archive, with a phpbb mod? E.g. if the Edit or Quote buttons were enabled (even for Guests) but the Submit button on ensuing posting page was somehow disabled or removed?

"There is no R in Kapuran. Except for the R" ~Krappy

Fri May 24, 2013 11:26 am
Profile WWW
Administrator
Administrator

Not without fundamentally changing the underlying structure of phpBB's functions and permissions, no.

Sat May 25, 2013 11:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2